Slip and Fall Lawyer Dallas, TX
One of the most common accidents that cause injuries to victims are slip and fall accidents. In fact, according to statistics from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), approximately one million victims end up at hospitals each year because of injuries sustained in these incidents. Many of those accidents occur right here in Texas. If you have suffered injuries in a slip and fall incident, consider speaking with a slip and fall lawyer Dallas, TX clients recommend to find out what legal options you may have.
A slip and fall accident can leave victims with injuries that range from mild to serious. Keep in mind, that even a minor slip and fall incident can cause injuries so severe that the victim dies, such as those that cause serious brain trauma. Other injuries include broken bones and bruising.
Slip and fall accidents can happen anywhere there is a hazardous condition present, including at a residential property, workplace, or business establishment. Some of the most common causes of a slip and fall accidents that a Dallas, TX slip and fall lawyer sees in the cases he or she handles include:
- Irregularities in walking surfaces: If a floor or walkway has loose boards or tiles, unmarked curbs, or uneven pavement, it raises the risk that a person walking can trip and fall.
- Lack of handrails: Municipalities have specific regulations and guidelines as to where handrails must be installed on ramps and stairways in order to provide people a safe way to go up and down the stairs.
- Ladders and step stools: These are some of the most common causes of people falling at the workplace.
- Liquid on floors: If a liquid that has been spilled on a floor is not quickly cleaned up or cleaned up properly, it creates a dangerous environment for anyone walking in the area. In many cases, the liquid is hard to detect and this can cause a person to slip and fall.
- Poor or inadequate lighting: This is especially true in stairways, but any area without sufficient lighting can be dangerous
- Tripping hazards: Any type of rugs, mats, loose cords, wires, and clutter can create a hazard for anyone trying to navigate through the area.
- Weather conditions: Any type of weather, such as ice and snow, that falls on a walkway should be cleared on a regular basis as it is falling. Rock salt, ice melt, or other type of anti-slipping product should also be applied.
As you can see, many of the above listed causes of slip and fall accidents are preventable if business owners, employers, and even homeowners took the time to make sure their premises are free of any of these dangerous issues. If they fail to do so and a victim is injured as a result, that victim may be able to pursue a premises liability lawsuit against the party who is liable. The victim may be able to be compensated for their medical bills, loss of income, pain and suffering, and more.
To learn more about what type of legal recourse you may have for your slip and fall injuries, contact Brandy Austin Law Firm to speak with a dedicated slip and fall lawyer in Dallas, TX. Call our office for a free consultation today.
How We Can Help
If you have suffered an injury from a slip and fall on a negligent owner property, you may be able to recover compensation for your injuries and losses with the help from a slip and fall lawyer in Dallas, TX at Brandy Austin Law Firm, PLLC. Our team can help you determine whether the owner was negligent and what legal recourse you may have.
For most people, when they walk into a friend’s home or through the doors of a business, they don’t usually ponder whether or not their safety might be at risk. In most situations, the person should have no reason to worry that there may be some type of hazard or danger on the premises that could cause them injury or even death.
What Is a Premises Liability Accident?
Accidents that happen because a dangerous situation existed on a property are called premises liability accidents. Slip and fall accidents are one of the most common premises liability incidents that a Texas slip and fall lawyer handles, often because the owner failed to address a hazard. For example, if there is inadequate lighting in a stairway that causes a visitor to fall, the owner could be held liable.
Another instance could be if the owners failed to fix a frayed carpet or loose handrail and a victim falls and is injured. They can also be liable if they failed to clean up a spill, clear ice off a walkway, or failed to put out warning signs up for visitors that these conditions exist.
There are other situations where an owner can be held liable for a victim’s injuries. Fire and smoke injuries are an example. The majority of states or municipalities have laws requiring property owners to have smoke detectors in rental properties, rooming houses, motels, and hotels. If a victim is injured or killed because of a fire or smoke inhalation because an owner failed to have working smoke alarms in place, the owner could be held liable.
That owner may also face criminal charges depending on the circumstances. If you aren’t sure whether you accident was the property owner’s fault, contact a Dallas, TX slip and fall lawyer for a free consultation today.
Is The Property Owner Responsible?
Unfortunately, there are cases where innocent victims are injured because of the negligence of the property owner. As a Dallas slip and fall lawyer may inform clients, under Texas law, it is the responsibility of the owner to properly maintain the property and keep it free of hazards that could endanger the safety of people who enter. If the owner fails at his or her legal responsibility and someone is injured, then the victim may be able to pursue damages against the owner for the losses they suffer because of their injuries.
What if a Warning Sign Was Posted At the Time of a Slip and Fall?
Whether or not compensation is available after a slip and fall will largely depend on the applicable circumstances. One of the most important elements that need to be considered is whether a warning sign was posted near the accident site.
If you slipped and fell in an area where a warning sign was posted, your ability to recover compensation could be affected. As a slip and fall lawyer in Dallas, TX might explain, the important thing to understand is the word ‘could’. Even if a warning sign was posted, damages may be available.
Can You File a Claim?
If a warning sign was posted at the location of your slip and fall, please call a Dallas, Texas slip and fall lawyer who will consider the following:
- The conditions of the entire premises
- The amount of time the floor presented a hazardous or dangerous condition
- Whether the floor was hazardous from a spill shortly before, or had the spill been there for a while?
- How much time had lapsed between the dangerous conditions and the slip and fall?
- Was a store manager or other employee inspecting the area? If so, how often?
- Are the legal obligations that require the premises to post a warning sign?
- What are the legal requirements of a warning sign?
- How large was the sign? Was it noticeable?
- Was the sign posted in an obviously visible location?
- Are there photos or footage?
When a warning sign was posted at the time of a slip and fall, a lawyer will likely ask questions like these to determine whether you have a case. In addition to these considerations, witnesses may be contacted, as well as investigators.
Could a Posted Warning Sign Affect Your Slip and Fall Case?
If you slipped and fell where a warning sign was present, the ability to file a legal claim could be hindered. More than likely, the defending side will use this fact to suggest the premises were adhering to their duty of care. They posted the sign; therefore was being responsible and cannot be liable for a slip and fall accident. A respected Dallas, TX slip and fall lawyer might argue the sign was not visible, could not be read, or was in the wrong location.
As you might see, a case like this will very likely be complicated. You should not assume you don’t have a case if a warning sign was posted. Rather, you should reach out to our firm for a case review. Let us help you explore what options may be available to you.
Contact a Texas Slip and Fall Attorney
If you or a family member has been injured in a slip and fall accident, or other premises liability accidents, contact our team immediately. Even if there is some question of the owner’s liability, a Dallas, TX slip and fall lawyer in Dallas at Brandy Austin Law Firm, PLLC can evaluate your case and determine what type of legal options you might have.