Criminal Defense Lawyer Arlington, TX
If you have been charged with a crime, it may be in your best interest to hire a criminal defense lawyer Arlington, TX trusts as soon as possible. At Brandy Austin Law Firm, PLLC, we may help your build a strong defense and protect your rights.
Criminal Defense Law FAQ
The pressure of pending criminal charges can really weigh on a person. As a result, you will likely be plagued with anxiety and with endless questions regarding the road ahead. Although facing an intimidating court system and possible jail time is the last thing you want to happen, you will want to make sure that you plan for the worst-case scenario. At Brandy Austin Law Firm, PLLC, we can discuss with you the various options you have when it comes to legal strategies and possible case outcomes. Here, we have taken the time to put together a list of some of the most common questions we are asked by our clients.
What evidence is needed in order for law enforcement to arrest me and charge me with a crime?
Before an arrest can be made, police must obtain probable cause. This involves a period spent investigating the crime that was committed. They will likely begin gathering evidence and interviewing witnesses. Once they have obtained the proper amount of evidence, law enforcement will then make recommendations to the prosecutor regarding the criminal charges.
What is probable cause?
Prior to arresting someone who may have committed a crime, law enforcement first must prove that probable cause exists. This also encompasses an officer’s ability to search a person’s property. They must first show probable cause before they are able to obtain a search warrant or make an arrest.
What are common reasons criminal charges are dismissed?
Everyone hopes that if they should face a criminal charge, the charge will ultimately be dropped or dismissed. There are a number of reasons why a prosecutor might drop charges against someone, including:
- There is not enough evidence to warrant a criminal charge.
- The police searched the person’s property without a search warrant, which makes any evidence that was obtained inadmissible in court.
- The individual was arrested or pulled over by law enforcement with no probable cause.
When do I call an attorney?
Facing criminal charges can be scary. You will want to partner with a criminal defense lawyer who is experienced in managing such matters. Contact an attorney in Arlington, TX as soon as possible. By retaining an attorney’s services right from the start, you’ll have some help navigating the legal system.
Should I hire a private attorney over a public defender?
A public defender is appointed through the court system and provides their legal services for free, but it’s not always wise to use a public defender. If you were charged with a serious crime, you’ll likely want to speak with a private criminal defense attorney of your choosing. Although public defenders do not charge you for their services, they do have high caseloads and very limited amounts of time to dedicate to each case. A private criminal defense lawyer and their legal team should be able to dedicate the time your case deserves.
Tips for Hiring a Criminal Defense Lawyer:
- Take their Experience into Account: It may be a wise idea to choose a criminal defense lawyer in Arlington, TX who has extensive experience with cases similar to yours. For example, if you have been charged with theft, you might not want to work with a lawyer who has only handled DUI cases in the past. If a lawyer has experience with similar cases, they may know your legal options and the best strategy to use for a successful outcome.
- Find out About the Lawyer’s Caseload: Many criminal defense lawyers work on several cases at the same time. If a criminal lawyer’s caseload is too heavy, however, he or she might not have the time to give your case the attention it deserves. During your initial consultation with a criminal defense lawyer, find out how many cases he or she is currently handling. If it seems like a lawyer’s caseload is too heavy, you may want to discuss your case with a different lawyer. A lawyer with fewer cases may be able to devote more time to your case.
- Ask for References: When you speak to a criminal defense lawyer Arlington, TX counts on, do not hesitate to ask for references from them. A reputable lawyer will be happy to provide you with past clients’ contact information. Call those clients and ask them about their experiences with this lawyer. Find out if they were satisfied with the representation offered by the lawyer.
- Make Sure Your Criminal Defense Lawyer Has Passion for the Law: It’s important to work with an Arlington criminal defense lawyer who actually enjoys what they do for a living. If your lawyer has a passion for defending people, he or she is more likely to fight hard for your rights. Pay attention to how a criminal lawyer interacts with you during the initial consultation. Does he or she seem genuinely interested in your story and ask a lot of questions? Or do they seem to be going through the motions? If it’s the latter, they might not be the right lawyer for you.
- Consider Your Comfort Level: When speaking with a criminal defense lawyer, ask yourself if you truly feel comfortable around him. If you feel uneasy around this lawyer and believe they are overly judgmental, you might not feel comfortable telling them everything about your case. Choose a lawyer who is personable and easy to talk to.
Contact Brandy Austin Law Firm, PLLC
At Brandy Austin Law Firm, PLLC, we have spent years navigating criminal charges and court proceedings for our clients, leaving our team well-equipped to manage a multitude of criminal defense cases. We are savvy and creative, passionate, and ready to manage anything that comes our way.
Do not wait to hire legal representation. The sooner you hire a criminal lawyer, the sooner you can begin to protect your rights and get resolution. If you are looking for a criminal defense lawyer Arlington, TX offers, contact Brandy Austin Law Firm, PLLC.