Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Dallas, TX
When you need a motorcycle accident lawyer in Dallas, TX that residents trusts and relies on, you need to take action quickly if you want to improve your chances of obtaining the best settlement offer. Motorcycle accidents are unfortunately a common occurrence on the road. Their excessive speeds and small size make motorcyclists especially prone to accidents. The injuries can be severe or even fatal. When you need legal assistance after an accident, you can reach out to a trusted lawyer like one from Brandy Austin Law Firm, PLLC for specialized legal services. They can examine your claim so that they can develop the strategies to secure the best possible compensation amount.
Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Dallas, TX
At Brandy Austin Law Firm, PLLC, clients can expect to receive the best quality legal services to help them navigate difficult legal situations. With their years of experience in many different areas of law, they have successfully helped clients obtain the compensation that they deserve. Life after an accident can be exceptionally difficult, so we want to offer our services and support to help. Reach out to a trusted lawyer and schedule a consultation now so that you can obtain legal help and get started.
Motorcycle Accident Scenarios
As a highly experienced motorcycle accident lawyer in Dallas, TX knows, there are a variety of scenarios that can result in an accident. Because of their small size and the lack of protective barriers on a motorcycle, accidents are quite common. Distracted driving and failing to obey traffic signs are common causes of accidents. Scenarios that often result in motorcycle accidents include:
- Speeding. Motorcyclists can reach high speeds and can accelerate quickly. Some cyclists however underestimate how well they can control the motorcycle, and often lose control when they try to turn at a high speed.
- Failing to stop at intersections. Some motorcyclists will try to beat a red light because of a motorcycle’s fast acceleration.
- Failing to yield to drivers or pedestrians. Motorcyclists who are driving too fast can strike drivers or pedestrians in their way.
- Making improper turns. Dangerous unprotected left turns can result in accidents. When drivers are turning left and see an oncoming motorcycle, they may attempt to turn. However, they may misjudge the speed of a motorcycle and strike the cyclist, resulting in a T-bone collision.
- Lane splitting. The practice of lane splitting is when motorcyclists occupy the space between two lanes to move past other vehicles. This is legal in some states, but must be done with caution because some drivers do not see cyclists coming in time. Unfortunately, it is a common cause of accidents.
- Driving under the influence. Using drugs or alcohol is especially dangerous when riding a motorcycle as the cyclist has far less protection coupled with a far faster vehicle.
- Distracted driving. Distracted driving can encompass anything from eating and drinking to texting, changing the radio, etc. While it’s more difficult for cyclists to engage in such behavior, other drivers engaging in these activities can still cause accidents.
- Driver’s fatigue. When we hear driver’s fatigue we tend to think more so of truck drivers who are nine hours into a 12+ hour shift. However, driver’s fatigue can happen to anyone and can cause an accident.
Common Questions About Motorcycle Accidents in Texas
Making smart decisions can help you get the compensation you deserve following a motorcycle accident. Whether you have been injured because of another vehicle or you’ve been accused of contributing to an accident, getting trustworthy answers is important to protect your interests. At Brandy Austin Law Firm, PLLC, we can help you know what steps to take next. Here are some common questions and answers about motorcycle accidents in Texas.
Should You Call the Police If You’ve Been in a Motorcycle Accident?
Calling the police is a good idea, especially if anyone has been injured in the accident. Having a police report as evidence can help a motorcycle accident lawyer in Dallas TX represent you more effectively. Without this evidence, insurance companies often try to deny coverage or reduce the amount of compensation.
Another reason to contact the police is to have an outside account of what happened. Without it, other drivers can make up any claim they want and it’s their word against yours. Don’t let anyone pressure you, and don’t accept any type of payment or sign any documents for the other driver.
Is It OK To Contact Your Insurance Company After an Accident?
Yes, you need to call your insurer to inform them that you’ve been in an accident. Don’t volunteer more information than necessary, however. Don’t admit fault in the accident at all. Contact a lawyer at the Brandy Austin Law Firm, PLLC right away to get advice on what you should and shouldn’t tell your insurance company.
What Type of Evidence Should You Gather From the Scene?
If you’re bleeding or need emergency medical care, that should be your priority. Call 911 if needed. You can always have your motorcycle accident lawyer in Dallas TX gather evidence for you. Just make sure to contact your lawyer as soon as possible after the accident.
If you feel up to it, you can gather evidence of the accident while waiting for the police to arrive. Photos or videos can help. Here’s what to record:
- Condition of your vehicle
- Location of the other vehicle
- Intersection or area where the accident happened
- License plate and description of the other person’s vehicle
- Your injuries
- Injuries of any family members with you
Don’t forget to get the other driver’s full name, contact information, insurance information and driver’s license number. If you have time, you can also write down the names of any witnesses nearby. Your motorcycle accident lawyer in Dallas TX may interview these witnesses later if your case goes to court.
How a Motorcycle Lawyer Can Help You After an Accident
After a motorcycle accident, you may be confused about what to do next. Reaching out to a lawyer immediately ensures that your rights are protected, and insurance or injury claims get filed correctly. Depending on the accident, you may wish to proceed in a few different ways. Here are some situations that a motorcycle accident lawyer in Dallas TX can help you through.
Filing an Insurance Claim
In the days immediately following a motorcycle accident, you must contact your insurance company and provide them with all the information collected at the scene. They can then begin working with the other driver’s insurance company to collect compensation for any damages or injuries you sustained.
While your insurance company may be able to process a claim on your behalf, having a motorcycle accident lawyer in Dallas TX ensures that you get everything you’re entitled to. Sometimes the other driver may only carry a minimal amount of liability insurance or might not have any coverage at all, in which case you are stuck paying your repair and medical bills. In situations such as these, a lawyer from Brandy Austin Law Firm, PLLC can help you file a lawsuit against the other driver or their insurance company.
Seeking Damages in a Lawsuit
If the at-fault driver doesn’t have insurance and you have sustained injuries and want to collect on the loss of your vehicle, you may need to file a lawsuit against them. A motorcycle accident lawyer in Dallas TX can sit down with you and help determine what compensation you are eligible for. This may include paying for motorcycle repair or replacement, reimbursement for your medical bills and pain and suffering due to injury and lost wages. Once your attorney determines the amount of the lawsuit, they can file the case on your behalf.
Accepting a Settlement
If the other party wants to avoid going to court, they may be willing to settle with you. Have an attorney from Brandy Austin Law Firm, PLLC assist you with this process ensures that your rights for compensation are protected.
Going To Trial
If the other party doesn’t want to settle the case, you may have to go to trial. A motorcycle accident lawyer in Dallas TX must prove that the other driver’s negligence contributed to the accident during the trial. An experienced attorney knows how to go through these court procedures to get you the amount of compensation you are entitled to.
Representing You if You Are At Fault
After an accident investigation, it’s possible that authorities may hold you partially or entirely responsible. If you are an at-fault driver in an accident, seeking advice from a motorcycle accident lawyer in Dallas TX is a smart idea. They can review the documentation and ensure there aren’t any questions about who caused the accident. If you are partially at fault, they can help you determine how you can still get compensation for the damages and injuries you sustained and protect your rights if another driver includes you in their lawsuit. If you get sued, an attorney represents you and your best interests in court to ensure the other party doesn’t seek damages beyond what they qualify for.
How Long Does a Motorcycle Accident Case Take?
Unfortunately, there isn’t a set timeline for how long it takes to resolve a motorcycle accident case. Factors that may delay the case can include:
- Serious injuries that need medical attention and hospitalization.
- Insurance companies that are unwilling to admit fault and pay/or unwilling to offer adequate compensation.
- Several drivers are involved in the case: while most of the time there will only be two parties involved, sometimes there can be multiple drivers involved. For example, one driver could cut off another driver resulting in that driver swerving and then hitting a motorcycle. In such a scenario there may need to be communications and negotiations between different parties as well as their lawyers and insurance companies.
Since there can be a multitude of variables there is no specific answer. However, most accidents are settled before they go to court as a trial can be costly and most parties would prefer to settle even if they don’t believe they are at fault. With this in mind, most cases take anywhere between six months to 18 months.
How Much Does a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Cost?
When it comes to personal injury cases such as motorcycle accidents the form of payment is usually a bit different than other legal cases. While it’s generally normal in cases such as a divorce to pay a lawyer hourly on top of paying a retainer, in personal injury cases many lawyers accept payment in the form of a contingency fee. A contingency fee is essentially an agreement between both parties that the lawyer will be paid a certain percentage of the final settlement or court award.
The logic behind this is that especially after following an accident, most clients don’t have the ability to pay out of pocket. As such, this contingency fee allows a lawyer to temporary work for free. Although a contingency fee can rise up to around 30%, working with a motorcycle accident lawyer means you’ll be able to build a stronger case and receive the compensation you deserve. This option is especially a good choice if the insurance company is refusing to settle or offering compensation that doesn’t even come close to covering everything.
Hire a Qualified Personal Injury Lawyer
You can stay safe on the road and reduce your risk of getting in an accident in several ways. Follow posted traffic signs and always be aware of your surroundings so that you avoid causing a collision.
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, a skilled lawyer can help you. Call an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer that Dallas, TX area residents turn to for exceptional legal help.
Common Misconceptions About Motorcycle Accidents
While riding on a motorcycle on a warm and sunny day may be a blast, it can be dangerous if proper precautions aren’t taken. Many motorcycle accidents occur every year on Texas roads, but they’re still widely misunderstood. Here are some common misconceptions about motorcycle accidents that you shouldn’t believe.
- It’s possible to perform lane splitting safely. This just isn’t true. In fact, as a motorcycle accident lawyer in Dallas, TX can confirm, lane splitting is one of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents. It occurs when a motorcyclist rides a motorcycle between clearly marked lines and is very dangerous. If you split traffic lanes, you can get too close to vehicles and reduce their reaction times.
- Speeding is safer on motorcycles. Some motorcyclists may enjoy the thrill of the open road and are tempted to go above the speed limit. However, this is very dangerous. The truth is that speeding can actually be more dangerous for motorcyclists because they don’t have the protection of a vehicle. To reduce the risk of getting into an accident, always go the speed limit.
- There’s no point in wearing a helmet. A helmet might not be able to prevent a motorcycle accident from happening, but it may prevent a serious head injury. Motorcyclists who wear helmets are much more likely to survive an accident than motorcyclists who don’t.
- Riding on city streets is safer than riding on highways. At first, it might seem like traveling at lower speeds on city streets is less dangerous than riding a motorcycle on a highway. However, riding a motorcycle on city streets can actually be more dangerous, as there is cross traffic, driveways and other hazards.
- Hiring a motorcycle accident lawyer is too expensive. Unfortunately, some motorcyclists avoid hiring a motorcycle accident lawyer following an accident because they assume they can’t afford one. However, like other personal injury lawyers, most motorcycle accident lawyers work on a contingency fee. This means that they only get paid if their client wins their case. Therefore, you don’t have to worry about paying your lawyer any money upfront.
- Motorists always see motorcyclists. Although motorcycles tend to be loud, some motorists are inattentive and may miss them. That’s why it’s critical to drive your motorcycle defensively and not to assume that motorists can see you.